Aller au contenu

Lighthouse named after Kaja

    The Kaijakari steel lighthouse was built in 1933. It was preceded by a simpler four-sided sea mark made out of logs and planks in 1878. The place ‘Kaijakari’ and its lighthouse are named after the Norwegian sea captain’s wife called Kaja. She died onboard in 1821 and was buried on the islet. In the 19th century, it was typical that captain wives sailed together with their husbands and shared their mobile occupation. Source: The Finnish Heritage Agency; Laurell, Seppo 1999: Suomen majakat (‘Lighthouses in Finland’).

    Address : Islet of Kaijakari off the Reposaari port west of Pori

    Back to the list