Aller au contenu

Monument to Elfriede Lender

    Elfriede Amanda Lender (née Elfriede Meikov in Tallinn, Estonia, 1882 – d. 1974 in Stockholm, Sweden) was an Estonian educator and teacher. She was the founder of the first Estonian-language school for girls. She became a primary school teacher in 1900. From 1901 to 1904 she worked at Dr. Martin Luthers orphanage elementary school and at the Boys Crown Elementary School. In 1904, she married Voldemar Lender, an engineer who became the first Estonian mayor of Tallinn in 1906. In 1906, she founded a free private school for pupils from poor families of both sexes. On September 9, 1907, Elfriede Lenders Daughters Grammar School was inaugurated. In 1917, there were already 461 girls, most of them Estonians. The school continued until 1940 with the beginning of the Soviet occupation. In 1944, she fled to Sweden, where she worked as a school official until 1962 and wrote her own memoir. Elfriede Lender died at the age of 92 and was buried in Stockholm Forest Cemetery.

    On 16 November 2010, Estonian sculptor Aime Kuulbusch-Mölders memorial black granite plaque dedicated to Elfriede Lender was unveiled on the wall of her childhood home at Toom-Rüütli 12 in Toompea, Tallinn. In 2017, a plan was finalised to place a Lender memorial with two benches in the Police Garden, one of which will be occupied by Elfriede Lender and the other by her husband Voldemar, the first Estonian mayor of Tallinn.

    Address : Toom-Rüütli 12, Tallinn, Estonia

    Back to the list