This orthodox cross is dedicated to the Lintula monastery nuns who passed during the evacuation of the monastery and were buried at various burial sites around Finland. Lintula monastery was originally located in Kivennapa, in Lintula Village. When Finland became independent and The Russian revolutions began, Lintula monastery’s ties to Russia were cut and the monastery was transferred under the rule of the Orthodox Church of Finland. In 1939, when the winter war began, the residents of the monastery fled to Finland. 47 nuns fled to Joroinen where they continued their way to Luhanka and settled to Kuhmalahti. Most of the nuns didn’t speak Finnish, and they were between 20–90 years old. Priest Illirik was the only man who fled with them. The monastery moved to Heinävesi in 1946. Some of the nuns were old and became ill on the way. Many of them passed before reaching Heinävesi. Despite being in Orthodox faith, some refugee nuns were buried in Lutheran graveyards. Many did not even have names on their graves.
More information on Wikipedia.
Address: Valamontie 36, 79850 Heinävesi, Finland.